We want to hear from you! Here’s what you need to know to share your story, photo, question, tip or other submission.
We love hearing from you—in fact, we couldn’t publish this magazine or create other products without you! For example:
- Bird Tales: Just like it sounds, this is where we share your favorite birding experiences.
- Backyard Chat: Things are always more casual over the back fence, and likewise, here’s where we kick back, have a laugh with reader’s funny photos and captions, and talk about your triumphs and not-so-successful moments. And if Birds & Blooms has helped you, here’s a great place for you to tell all about it!
- Ask the Experts: Plant doctor Melinda Myers and birding experts Kenn and Kimberly Kaufmann answer your most challenging questions.
Not sure where your submission fits? No worries! Just make sure you follow the guidelines below, and we’ll take care of the rest.
- Use our Submit Your Story form. This guides you to include housekeeping information, such as your contact information.
- Send a photo when possible, size should be at least 1200 x 1800 pixels or about 1 MB. Our form accepts files up to 10 MB.
- Know that submissions are carefully considered, although we are unable to give personal feedback due to a very small staff, which helps us shape Birds & Blooms into the unique reading experience it is!
If we print your submission in the magazine, we will send you a complimentary copy of the issue in which it appears, and any compensation as may be specified by us in writing.
Rights: By submitting material to us, you grant RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC, its affiliates, partners and licensees worldwide use of the material without time limitation, including the right to use your name and city/state/province in connection with any such use. We reserve the right to modify, reproduce and distribute your material in any medium (now or hereafter existing) and in any manner or appropriate place, including but not limited to magazines, promotional merchandise, and marketing and other related materials.
By submitting material to us, you represent and warrant that you have full authority to grant the rights set forth above and that your material will not, in whole or in part, infringe the intellectual property rights, rights of privacy or publicity, or any other rights of any third party. You further represent and warrant that you have attained the legal age of majority in your state/province (18 in most states/provinces). If you’re a minor under the law of your state/province, your parent or guardian must submit on your behalf. [Last updated January 24, 2017]
Contact: We may contact you via phone, email or mail regarding your submission, but our small staff can’t acknowledge receipt of submissions.
Most material is considered on speculation, which means there is no need to send a query first, simply submit your content for review.
We are open to queries and manuscript submissions from professional bird, garden and nature writers, especially submissions that include photos. Here are a few areas open to professionals:
- Gardening and Birding Features: Stories should be under 1,000 words, including sidebars. We prefer personal experience combined with advice, not a piece with all expert quotes. In addition, we will consider stories about attracting birds, gardening for wildlife, garden trends and birder or gardener profiles.
- Travel: Stories should focus on nature travel, including birding hotspots.
- DIY: Projects need to be fresh and innovative. We’re not going to run plans for a bluebird house or stepping stones unless there’s something unique to the approach. Projects should include a supplies list and step-by-step instructions.
Professional photographers seeking a relationship with our magazine can use our Submit Your Story form to send us a link or lightbox of some of your best work related to birds and gardening. If we are interested, we will contact you.
We look forward to hearing your stories, seeing your photos, and “visiting” with you through future issues and products.